17 August 2006

Reservations about blogging

Since being introduced to blogging, I'm beginning to have my doubts. Why do it? Why not write a private diary instead? Surely it's easier to be more truthful in private. Sure, I can blog but, if you are reading this, you can be sure that you are only reading a version - a highly edited version - of me. And if it is highly edited, then is it me?

For example, I attended a dinner party a few weeks ago, which was attended by a senior political figure in UK politics. He was engaging and I have a lot to say about him - but I can't do it here. Similarly, much of my life is my work - which happens at present to be setting up and running a school. It's difficult to see how I can write any aspect of this without betraying confidences.

So it seems to me that prima facie I can only write about the inconsequential and the trivial (not that the trivial is devoid of meaning or indeed interest). But do I write about every sunset that moves me - or indeed the latest altercation with UK traffic police... or my views on the writing of Melanie Klein (currently engaged in)?

But worse - I have a feeling (and I'd love to be wrong) that real people who do real things are, well, doing real things. They're not sitting at home blogging. For the sake of argument, let's take JK Rowling. I can't believe that she could have blogged between penning episodes of the latest Potter novel. And even post-Potter, surely she's too busy now enjoying the fruits of her labour to be blogging?

Is blogging just a variation on daytime television?

Hmm, I'll keep on mulling this one over.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ross Pruden said...

Blogging is, in fact, equivalent to watching TV soaps in regards to blogging. But at end of day, at least you have a record of how you spent your time. And if you've poured enough time into your blogs, you might be able to collect them all together after a period of time and publish them, preferably as an addendum to a larger literary work?

Not to mention, they're a great way to pimp yourself, even if they are "abbreviated".

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home